Be happy they say.
Find a place inside where there’s joy, and the joy will burn out the pain. – Joseph Campbell
Ever since, I started my coaching practice, I have heard a lot of people say the same thing –
- I want to find my purpose in life.
- I don’t want to work at a dead-end job anymore.
- I want to be happy.
- I want to make more money.
- I am not happy.
- I won’t be happy until I find out what my purpose is.
I wanted to address that last point in this post today. It’s funny because I used to think exactly the same.
I used to say to myself – “How can I be happy right now? I am not living my ideal life.”
But over the years of not being happy and waiting to be happy after I achieve some life goal, I have realized there is really no good time to be happy.
You could literally wait forever to be happy.
There will always be another goal to accomplish.
There will always be another hurdle to tackle, another bridge to cross, another bucket list item to get at.
There really is no good time to start being happy. If you wait, you will be waiting until you die. I have decided not to wait anymore. I have decided to be happy right now in this very moment, right now. This moment is all there is, anyway.
So why not be happy in this very moment?
I have been waiting for far too long, 32 years in fact, to be happy. I have been waiting until a set of rules have been satisfied in my mind that delineate that I have reached that epitome of life. Waiting for 32 years. Even writing those words makes me sad.
Why did I wait 32 years to be happy? When I could have literally chosen any moment to say,’Yes, this is it. From now on, I’ll be happy, no matter what is going on around me.’
You know why? Because I forgot that happiness is a choice!!!!!
I had to underline the previous statement because it is so important.
Happiness isn’t a state of mind, it isn’t something that happens to us, it isn’t something that is given to us, it isn’t something that someone gifts to us. It is a choice.
Every moment of every single day, you can make a choice to be happy or to be unhappy. To dwell on the joy of life or to dwell on the misery.
Every moment, you have a choice:
- You can focus on the joy of living in this beautiful world, or the hardship of paying all of your bills and being an adult.
- You can focus on the beauty of each breath that you are lucky to take, or the fact that you might not have enough money to go on that vacation.
- You can focus on the love that your family and friends feel for you, or the fact that you are single, and you don’t have a partner yet.
- You can focus on the fact that you are alive, living in a free country and world, you have electricity, drinking water, enough food, all of your senses are intact, and you have a strong body. Or you can focus on the fact that you don’t know what your purpose in life is.
Maybe our life purpose is to be happy. Just be happy in every moment.
Could it truly be that simple? Life purpose will come.
I have found it to be true for me. Every moment that I choose to be happy, I find that I am living my ideal life. I’m happy, joyful and grateful to be alive. Life is a miracle to me. The universe gives me what I want. I am living day-to-day in astonishment at how lucky I am and how much I have.
Truly, try it today. Every moment, choose to be happy. Do not wait to be happy. Be happy right now. Right this very minute is when you can start living your ideal, happy life.
Right now. Start now.
Get my FREE EMAIL COURSE on Building a Morning Routine That Will Increase Creativity
Say goodbye to procrastination. Learn the steps you can take TODAY to build a morning routine.